Founded as St. John’s College by Bishop John Hughes, Fordham opened in 1841 to serve the immigrant Church of New York. At the invitation of Bishop Hughes, the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) assumed responsibility for the College in 1846. In 1907 the institution achieved university status. Its name was officially changed to Fordham University. During the 20th century, the University grew to encompass eleven schools, with campuses in the Bronx, Manhattan and Westchester County.
The eleven graduate, undergraduate and professional schools at Fordham University reside on the two major campuses in New York City and two in Westchester county and offer over 11 programs. Each of the schools are among the most highly rated in the country, providing academic rigor, professionalism, and the characteristic Jesuit tradition of “cura personalis,” or individual attention and personal care.
College of Business Administration
Established in 1920 in the financial district of lower Manhattan, the College of Business Administration moved to the Rose Hill campus, located in the north Bronx, in 1947. Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business-International, this four-year, undergraduate college combines the liberal arts Core Curriculum with the analytical and human values dimensions of business education.
The College of Business Administration confers the degrees of Bachelor of Science in business administration, Bachelor of Science in management of information and communication systems, Bachelor of Science in marketing, and Bachelor of Science in public accounting.